View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
Can you eat javelina? 

Post Can you eat javelina?
I am sure you can eat anything. But is javelina good. If so how do you prepare it?

Thanks

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:04 pm
MOD

Post Re: Can you eat Javelina?
I have tried it in many ways but the best i have ever had is in brats--i know some guys who will BBQ it in a Crockpot for two days and then eat it like a sloppy Joe and i have to admit it is pretty good.

Honesty is all a man has--if he loses it he is no more than a waste of space.

http://www.arizonaoutfitter.com

Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:32 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Can you eat javelina?
hello - yes ,taking the meat in for beer brats is # ! on my list-- I take the backstrap and wrap it in bacon - put it in a crackpot with a can of coke-non diet and a bottle of your favorite BBQ sause -cook all day - melts in your mouth -- deeeleccious !!

Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:22 pm

pit BBQ or take it to a smoking facility

Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:36 pm

What does it taste like? Can it be compared to anything?

Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Not like chicken! I think it tastes like pork. My first javelina was taken to Big Rays BBQ on Grant Rd (now defunct). It was the best wild game I have had except for the ribs which turned to jerky.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:00 pm

My father-in-law roasted a pig underground at his place...maybe that would be a good cooking method.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Pit bbq is great. I love bacon wrapped back straps . I really like the taste of Javalina any way it's cooked

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Absolutely! My favorite is to have the javelina made into chorizo and put it in chili. Yum.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:55 pm
Profile WWW

The simplest way for me is to season the meat (salt,pepper,garlic) then throw it into a crockpot with a whole onion quartered, fill with water to the top. Let it cook on high for 12-14 hours. The meat falls right off the bone, and yes it taste like pork to me.

Remember not to touch the musk gland on his back, at all. I use a couple different knives when skinning. Then soak the meat in salt water, changing the water when it gets bloody.

Good Luck and Enjoy. :D

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:30 am

Great stuff.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:45 am

Here are two great never fail methods that have been passed down in our family....

1) Dig 3 foot deep pit ...... place 6" of good coals in the bottom and top. Cover the rest with dirt. Compact the soil really well.
Come back in 3 days, and hope you forgot where you buried it! :mrgreen:

2) Cook in the oven at 375 degrees on top of a nice pine board for 1 hr 45 minutes. WHen done, throw the pig away and eat the board. :mrgreen:

PS...hope you get the message here! :shock:

Ssssh.....was that a bugle?

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:10 am

I guess to each his own. I will at least try it once, then I will make up my own opinion.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:41 am

I have put it in Chili and let it cook, like all good chili for about three hours.
You can take a roast, pierce it with a pairing/steak knife and put slivers of garlic in. Then put on a rub and smoke it.
Other then have it made into sausage or chorizo this is what I have done and when it is in chili nobody knows what it is unless you tell them.
The musk gland will come off with the hide and do soak it in a 5 gallon bucket with two cups of salt (Kosher or Sea) and a bag of ice for 4 hours or a little longer to remove the blood and stink. Last time I did that the meat had a prickly pear smell.

I learned everything I need to know about Islam on September 11th

Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 pm

PRDATR wrote:
I have put it in Chili and let it cook, like all good chili for about three hours.
You can take a roast, pierce it with a pairing/steak knife and put slivers of garlic in. Then put on a rub and smoke it.
Other then have it made into sausage or chorizo this is what I have done and when it is in chili nobody knows what it is unless you tell them.
The musk gland will come off with the hide and do soak it in a 5 gallon bucket with two cups of salt (Kosher or Sea) and a bag of ice for 4 hours or a little longer to remove the blood and stink. Last time I did that the meat had a prickly pear smell.

If you don't want it I'll take.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:35 pm

Aaron,

I'm sure if you tried it you'd like it. When I first tried javelina it was up at the Becoming an Outdoor Woman workshop and it wasn't until after I had a couple bites of the chili that somebody told me it was made with javelina chorizo. Needless to say, I was back in line for another serving after that and I made sure to have some the following year when I went back to another BOW program. I did not detect a gamey taste and found it a bit more flavorable than the traditional Easter ham.

Cindy

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:30 pm
Profile WWW

I'm gettin excited to try it, I never believe what anyone says about the way things taste until I try it myself... I've heard from tons of people that sandhill crane is terrible, well let me tell you it is by far the best dark game bird out there... same for sharptail grouse and prairie chicken, both excellent. Back in my neck of the woods everyone complains about the taste of antelope too, I'll take an antelope roast or steak over whitetail anyday!! I will admit that elk and moose are the best big game, followed by a big fat plucked greenheaded mallard!!!

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:38 pm

I took my last pig to a place in Mesa called Vonhanson's and had the whole thing made into hot Jalepeno beef sticks. One of the best things I have ever eaten. I had guys offering me $20 a package for it. That is definetly what I will do if I ever get another one.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:17 pm

I got stuck cooking at camp this last week instead of guiding, anyway a couple of us took our pigs on the morning of the last day and I took the TL's and made little medallions and cooked them up, then took the backstraps from one and made up a batch of chili. There were many first time tasters in the bunch and I didn't hear any complaining.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:09 pm

I usually save the backstraps and soak in milk for several hours, then marinate and bbq them. Tastes like a great pork loin. I take all the rest of the meat and usually either crock pot it, or the last few times have had bratwurst made from it. I like the brats either with typical hot dog fixins, or on a bun with a little spaghetti sauce on it with mozarella melted on top...mmmmm.

http://bowhuntinginarizona.com/

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:59 pm
Profile WWW

i crock poted some of my first javi yesterday.i used garys coke and souce recipy. i am realy in shock ,after all of the horor storys ive herd there all false.this was some of the best bbq sammys ive had in a long time.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:19 am

jeepers creepers wrote:
The simplest way for me is to season the meat (salt,pepper,garlic) then throw it into a crockpot with a whole onion quartered, fill with water to the top. Let it cook on high for 12-14 hours. The meat falls right off the bone, and yes it taste like pork to me.

Remember not to touch the musk gland on his back, at all. I use a couple different knives when skinning. Then soak the meat in salt water, changing the water when it gets bloody.

So its okay to use different kinds in skinning. I have my cold steel knife here, so its okay to use it too?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:08 pm

joozako wrote:
jeepers creepers wrote:

So its okay to use different kinds in skinning. I have my cold steel knife here, so its okay to use it too?

hello - what he probably meant was - he takes several knives along for the skinning process - if on gets "funky" from smell or musk gland odor or for what ever reason - he can change knives and keep the meat clean - use whatever type knife you want - I've even seen a deer skinned with a top from a Skoal can- hardcore ole timer - Gary

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:31 pm

I cook it two different ways:

1. I have some rubs I put on meat I grill. I rub it and then cook it over mesquite.

2. I make red chili out of it.

Both ways it comes out really good.

EDIT:

I have found the best way to avoid that gland is to stay away from it, just let it come off when you rip the skin off.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:16 pm

The backstraps and loins I smoked/barbecued tasted a lot like cottontail to me... Like a gamey chicken... The texture was like beef... but tougher... The membranes are kind of annoying.. They are so tough they are pretty much impossible to eat...

I have had many types of arizona game... squirrel, cottontail, jackrabbit, dove, duck, quail, pigeon, mule deer, whitetail deer, elk

the best is definitely quail... the worst goes without saying -- jackrabbit. To me the javelina wasn't any better or worse then the deer I have tried... And i have had some cottontail that is downright delicious... Especially smaller/younger ones...

I just got my chorizo from 4 peaks today... I let y'all know what it tastes like..

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:27 pm

I barded (wrapped) it with bacon and smoked it in my new Cookshack Smoker to 180F and it was really good but a little chewier that regular pulled pork.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:09 pm

I had the chorizo this morning with eggs... It was very good !... With exception to some hard piece of something in there that I bit on... Bone maybe ?

Very low in fat for my waist line also...

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:05 am

This isn't a plug for a business, but I took mine to a butcher in Tucson (I rented an apartment and didn't want to go all 'scarface' in my bathroom or porch), and had them turn it into brats. They processed the animal quick, and I was amazed at the price. It was well worth having them do it. To top it off, the brats were awesome! I cooked them at a going away party, and everyone raved about them. Once I told them, some of them were unsure, but they were some of the best brats I've had ever. I don't remember the actual name of the butcher, but it's in the mini-mall area in Tucson at the southwest corner of Broadway and Camino Seco.

Tue May 18, 2010 8:08 am

SoDak wrote:
This isn't a plug for a business, but I took mine to a butcher in Tucson (I rented an apartment and didn't want to go all 'scarface' in my bathroom or porch), and had them turn it into brats. They processed the animal quick, and I was amazed at the price. It was well worth having them do it. To top it off, the brats were awesome! I cooked them at a going away party, and everyone raved about them. Once I told them, some of them were unsure, but they were some of the best brats I've had ever. I don't remember the actual name of the butcher, but it's in the mini-mall area in Tucson at the southwest corner of Broadway and Camino Seco.

I knew as soon as I started reading your post where you went. The place is called Dickman's and it is well known here in Tucson for being the butcher of choice for game.

Tue May 18, 2010 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]