View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Bowfishing Questions 

Post Bowfishing Questions
Long question. I apologize in advance.

Don't know how many of you do this down here, but I'm trying to get back into archery. That being said, I know that the archery season is mostly over in Arizona for the near term. I'm from the midwest where I used to use my bow mostly for bowfishing for carp, gar, and assorted "non-game" fish. I'm familiar with the rules for bowfishing in Arizona but have a couple questions about how/where it's done down here.

Back home bowfishing is pretty much done in the spring. The rains come in and all the creeks fill up. About a week or so after the creeks start running, the fish start moving upstream to spawn. The creeks run for about two months and hold water for about another month or two after that. All you have to do then is start at the mouth of the lake and walk the creek up until you start seeing fish (simple enough). Once the creeks dried up we would sometimes bring the bows along when walleye fishing just in case the bite shut off and the buffalo were in the shallows (was a nice way to pass some time).

I would like to try to get back into it, but I've been here fishing for about 4 years now (from shore or a boat) and haven't really seen any concentrations of carp to speak of. I'm stationed in Tucson and usually fish Parker Canyon, Patagonia, and Arivaca. I understand that the method of walking up the creeks won't work here since most creeks here are washes that don't hold moving water long enough for the fish to move miles up and spawn. What I'm wondering is if there are any places close (within 1-2 hours) of Tucson that hold solid numbers of either talapia or carp. I don't want any honey holes or specific locations/methods...just a rough idea of which direction to head. I know that Roosevelt and its trailing lakes have good carp but I rarely have the time to spend the 5-6 hour round trip to stick a couple carp.

Any help anyone could give me with finding carp or talapia would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:25 am

Post Re: Bowfishing Questions
wayne,

find "bowfishn" seaching for members of the site, his name is Dell and he would be the one to talk to. great guy as well.

DG

Call 'em, KILL 'em, Stack 'em!

Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:28 am

Wayne, San Carlos Lake on the Apache Reservation has alot of carp. In the spring there are huge pods on the surface in open water and cruising the shore when the other fish are spawning their eggs. I haven't bowfished but have visited with those that do on the water and can see how it would be fun and successful. I will start going in a few weeks and usually spend 20 to 30 days on the water. If you want I will let you know when the activity heats up. Make sure and bring you poles for crappie, this should be another great year. The lake is about 30 minutes east of Globe.

Kent

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:23 am

Wow! Thanks for the fast replies. I'll definately talk with Dell. Thanks for the tip on San Carlos. That's just about the right distance from here for me. It'll probably be a month before I get all the gear on my bow (plus get some practice in) but if I have any luck, I'll let y'all know about it. Thanks again.

Wayne

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:51 am

I should have posted this earlier, the carp are everywhere at San Carlos. Huge pods, some 50 yds across. Thick on the shorelines also. If I was settup for it I would give the bow a try, naw, the crappie bite's too good.

Kent

Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]