View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Savage accuracy out of the box 

Post Savage accuracy out of the box
Just thought I'd ask...does anyone have any recent expirience with out of the box accuracy with the new savages...Weatherby offers the sub MOA's for a great price, but from what I've read the savages are tack drivers out of the box too, problem is I can't find anything that tells me what they're grouping or if they can hold up to what WBY promises...its all "they're super tight groups" but no one says just how tight and they don't offer a guarentee like WBY...any thoughts?

Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:56 am

Post Re: Savage accuracy out of the box
I seen the same comments on a TV hunting show.

A particular Savage was rumored to be one of the most accurate....and they too said ....out of the box!
It had something to do with the new machine equipment they now have.

Ssssh.....was that a bugle?

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:42 am
MOD

A recently sold (big mistake) a new Savage .270 WSM and it was a tack driver right out of the box. I was shooting 1.5 inch groups at 200 yards just laying prone with factory ammo.

I will buy another rifle some day and it will probably be the exact same one.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:24 am
Profile WWW

please define your thoughts on what makes a tack driver, I have come to understand everyone has a different expectation of what an accurate (tack driver) rifle should be. I know I personally have a pretty high expectation.

"So, which would YOU rather have, Democracy or Liberty?"

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:32 pm

I have a 204 Savage and it shoots sub 1/2" groups. The other day I shot a 3.5" group at 550 yards.

Matthew

Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:19 pm

Say what?

550? :shock:

Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Description? Well I'm just trying to see how the savages compare to what Weatherby promises....Sub MOA....but like I said, I read about them being accurate out of the box but no one gives the numbers.... .5", .6", .3" I don't know, and I'm more interested in the 270 plus range, prefeeably a 30 caliber like a 300 WSM.

I have no idea why savage is touting the accuracy, but doesn't post something on their web page like WBY claiming what their rifles will shoot on a regular basis. You'd think that if they were serious they'd have it plastered all over their web page showing the accuracy and guarenteeing accuracy like WBY.

If you have an 09 Savage or newer let me know what you know.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:36 pm

my wifes shoots a 300 wsw with factory ammo and it is tuff to beat working on a custom load and she dosent understand why.I have a 300 that i have had some work done on and it is one rifle that i cant leave behind

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Here's another big difference though, the Weaherby sub moa rifles are right at $1000.00, you can get a savage much cheaper. I have a weatherby vangaurd 300win mag, and it's been tough finding a load that will give me a tight group, best has been around 1.5-2.0 inches at 100 yards.

I've heard a lot of the same stuff about savage, especially with the the accu trigger and accu stock, seems like a good combination.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:59 pm

I have both the Savage (pre accu stock 270 wsm) and the Weatherby vanguard SUB m.o.a. (300 wsm) Here is what I can tell you from my own experience; they will both shoot a better group than most people can shoot. The accu trigger on the savage is advertised to adjust from 2 pound to 4 pounds. Mine is as light as it would go and it breaks at a crisp 2 pounds 3 ounces, with zero creep. I love it. The gun is well under moa accuracy with any ammo I have run through it. The Weatherby has an horrible trigger from the factory. It is listed as adjustable, but it had a ton a creep in it at it's best. I added the timmney trigger and it is under moa accuracy with factory loads, and well under with 150 gr. accubond.
Both come with floated barrel. The Weatherby is pilar bedded, the New Savage with the accu stock has their custom bedding system. The Weatherby is quite a bit heavier than the Savage, which could make a difference if you hike much.

If I had to choose for the price........ I would go with the Savage with the Accustock all day long.

Just my .02

Let us know what you decide on.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:12 pm

The Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag I bought in 1990 consistently shot right at an inch or smaller. It is nice to shoot itty bitty groups but unecessary in a big game hunting rifle and MOA is really only necessary if you are shooting Prarie Dogs, IMHO.
I was at Usery today with my son and a buddy doing some shooting prior to our Javelina hunt and it was amusing to watch my son shooting his Tikka at the 300yd gong offhand.
First shot hit 2' low, second shot was pulled 3' to the left and third shot was 15 short. This was from a MOA rifle and he consistently does that from the bench with that particular rifle.
My Rem 788 in 22-250 consistently shoots under MOA with factory ammo but shooting a Yote on the run at 250yds doesn't always happen.
Savage is making a lot of claims, and rightly so. I would buy one before I bought a Weatherby Vanguard and put the rest into optics. The only reason I would buy a Mark V would be to get one of Weatherbys proprietary calibers. But for that price you could get a Blaser.
If you can't hit a 10" plate @ 200 yards offhand consistently then MOA vs 2MOA doesn't really matter.

I learned everything I need to know about Islam on September 11th

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Bought 3 new 7mm08s about 6 yrs ago for presents to my Dad and 2 nephews, they were the Stevens model, no accutrigger. Loaded 48 grs H4350 and Hndy 139 SP, took them to the range to adjust the scopes and each shot under moa and I never changed the load. I'm not patient enough to be a great shot, I shoot to fast.

Kent

Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:58 pm
MOD

I bought a 110 when Winchester released their short mag line in 300wsm. It is a good shooter and will consistently throw 1" groups at 100 yards (would probably be better if I was a better shot). I'm very pleased although I wish I would have waited a few years to get the accutrigger.

-Dave King

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Dave,
You can install a Timney Trigger for about $100 but he older 110's were adjustable to under 4#'s but don't polish it as the trigger face and sear were made from powdered metal that has a very thin hard surface and could be removed by a stone exposing the softer metal.

I learned everything I need to know about Islam on September 11th

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:43 am

How about this puppy.....

http://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml

includes scope and bipod.

I am eyeing this one ......

http://sakoa7.net/

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:12 pm

Thanks all, first I have to wait for the snow to melt and then I can use the range I built next to the house. I've got a 300 WBY ultra-lightweight and was always thrilled with the 1-1 /12" groups....yes it's more than ample for big game, but I want better. I'll play with some hand loads this spring and see if I can tighten them up to consistent SUBMOA's...if not,well, we'll see what my budget can afford...re-WBY SUBMOA's, if you get on Gunbroker.com you can find em NIB for $699 for the basics which are pretty nice looking and for a submoa rifle from the factory I think that's pretty good.

Again, thanks all for your input..Craig

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]