View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
I'll Never forget Unit 27 especially when....we were jumped 

Post I'll Never forget Unit 27 especially when....we were jumped
I grew up hunting in Arizona, and I will never forget Unit 27 of 35 years ago, I sit here in big city California reminiscing many fond memories of our hunts down in the Blue primitive area, very rugged, primitive, cold, cougars and cactus, beautiful indeed. This one particular years hunt I can recall as if yesterday. I was too young to carry a rifle but dad would suffer through my noisy movement through the canyons and let me try to keep up with him anyway. So young I was always in awe of my Father's beautiful .300 Savage and anxiously waiting for my time to take the Hunter Safety Course so I could carry my own rifle.
The members of our hunting group had agreed the previous evening how we would hunt the area, Dad and I headed up the big canyon to cross over three ridges to sit on high ground and see what was kicked up. Typical for the Blue it didn't take long before the action started, down below us we heard rocks a fallin' and brush rustling. Out of nowhere, 5 huge mulies topped the ridge and jumped us, three does, a forked horn and another with quite a rack following in the back. We all stood eye to eye about 30 - 40 feet distancing us! Dad threw up the Savage
going for the forked horn not realizing the big buck was barely out of his view. Just as Dad was about to squeeze it off I screamed "buck buck" trying to let him know about the big one he didn't see. This rattled Dad and as things were happening real fast it threw his shot, not knowing any better in an effort to get my fathers attention I screamed again. Now after all that screaming and the fast happenings Dad thought I might be hurt so turning his attention to me he sees I am OK but by now the forked horn was gone. Now all this screaming and deer going every which way startled the big buck as much as us so he lingered just a moment to see what all the ruckus was about. By now Dad saw the big deer, but he was on a razors edge from being startled by the deer and having an over excited kid screaming "buck" all the while concerned for my safety. He looked to his right where I was to to make sure I was far out of the path of the Savage's bullet, then he turned hard left opposite away from me pointing towards his hopeful trophy. Once again having so much excitement and with almost wet pants I screamed again, Dad couldn't help but be concerned about me, it threw his aim and his trophy was lost. My father never made me feel bad about what happened, he certianly took some pokes in the ribs over the event, all in good fun though. I look forward to the day I can revisit that ridge in Unit 27, be with the cold, cactus, cougars and the spirit of Dad again.

Last edited by m_walker on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:03 pm

Post Re: I'll Never forget Unit 27 especially when....we were jumped
Nice story, you should get your butt back over here and experience the wildnerness once again!

KP

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:13 pm
Profile WWW

...just payed for the Tikka and scope today, told the wife me and the boy are going hunting.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:18 pm

Welcome Walker.
Thanks for sharing the levity of a child learning all about hunter communication! ;)
Good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:13 am

Good story. I will hunting unit 27 for whitetail in October, and will be on that special ridge with the spirit of my father also, I know exactly what you mean!

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:47 am

I have been going with my dad up on the blue since I was 8 years old for deer, I'm 33 now. We pack in horseback for a couple hours. Very rarely do we see someone. Its one of those places that my dad and I have shared and will always be our hunting spot.

We have seen mountain lion, bear, big horn sheep, elk, deer, javelina, bobcat, coyotes, turkey, ring tail cats and caught lots of fish. Its an amazing place. I shot my first deer there when I was 10. Packed it out on one of my dads horses at night. We have had bears tear up our camp. Watched the sheep butt heads at less than 30 yards. I could go on and on about it.

What a great wild place to experience the wilderness with a kid. We used to do a pack trip from Hanagan meadows down to the lower blue. That was a rough trip but we saw lots of wildlife.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:06 am

Great story!

My dad lives in Ohio, but he comes out here in 3 weeks to go on his first cow elk hunt ever. I'm REALLY looking forward to our hunt together, its been awhile. :D

I just hope I don't start yelling "Dad, Dad", when I see our first elk. :lol:

Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:06 am

Reading you post brought back lots of great memorys for me also. For many Years I backpacked into the Blue with Family Deer hunting. We took several nice bucks and like Scottk saw just about all the wildlife AZ has to offer in there. Can not wait to go in there again!

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:39 pm

The Blue was nothing shy of magical back in the early '70s...we'd built a cabin in Tal-Wi-Wi estates and almost every weekend I would beg dad to take us down the road to the Blue...deer, turkey, elk, sheep, cat's & coyotes...get down there early enough and could almost see anything. Get to the bottom and hang out drinking grape knee-high's with Jimmy and Johnny Joy at the Post Office and then take the New Mexico road, hit the mexican food restraunt in Reserve, maybe stop outside of Luna to shoot P'dogs and then up and over to Alpine.

They were the best of times as I made it to 16 and was old enough to drive myself around that playgound....hunting, fishing, flirting with Pam Wright down at the gas station, or Becky Scott at Scott's Merchantile...or those beautiful Lucier girls & Janet McDonald at Tal-wi-wi lodge..street dances, rodeo's, and bar fights staring Dennis Simpson or Dwight Lund...what a great childhood!

Sunday nights we'd head to Hanagan's for pizza and watch the deer and elk come out to feed...stop near Beaverhead crossing on the way home, shut off the truck and listen to the elk scream....we had no tv, phone, and only on a good night could you get X-rock 80, Juarez, Mexico, with Wolfman Jack.....those my friends, were the days.

Walker...you hit the spot, and to think, my first deer rifle was a Savage 99 300 too!!!!! Never got anything with it, but to this day I miss it and have thought about getting another, only in 308....maybe someday. Thanks for bringing back the memories ;)

Craig

Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:04 pm

I have a lot on my plate these days, but I will be headin' down to the Blue again that's for sure.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]